A sister in Canada who tired of always being asked, in a sympathetic tone, about the attitude of Islam towards women decided to answer her questioners from their own religious texts. She sent me the results of her researches and I am printing some of them below. .
- Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. - Colossians 3:18
- Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands... - 1 Peter 3:1
- Likewise ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel... - 1 Peter 3:7
- [Women] are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. - I Corinthians 14:34
- But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man... - 1 Corinthians 11:3
- Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. - 1 Corinthians 11:9
- But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found or the damsel: Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die... - Deuteronomy 22:20-21
- It is better to live in a corner of the roof than in a house shared with a contentious woman. - Proverbs 25:24 .
- Let your women keep silent in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. - 1 Corinthians 14:34
- Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. - 1 Timothy 2:11-12
- Wives, submit yourselves unto your husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church... - Ephesians 5:22-23
(al-Mahdi Journal, Issue 1, Page 2)