Father: ALI bin ABI TALIB(a.s)
Mother: FATEMA ZAHRA(s.a)
Titles: Mujtaba , Sayyed , Taqi , Zaki , Sibt, Tayyab
Kuniyyat: Abu Muhammad
Birth: 15th Ramadhanul Mubarak 3rd Hijri
Place of Birth: Madina Munawwara, Hijaz
Martyrdom: 28th Safar 50 Hijri
Buried: Jannatul Baqii ( Madina Munawwara)
Wives: Umme Basher , Khaula , Umme Ishaq ,Hafsa , Hind , Joda ,
Children: 9 sons 7 daughters (as per Marhum Tabarsi)
Killer: Muawiya through Joda binte ashas by poisoning
Age: 47 years
Imamat duration: 10 years
The Treaty agreed upon between Moawiya and Imam Hasan (as) tells us the following salient points:
1. That Moawiya should rule strictly according to the Holy Qur’an and the Sunna of the Prophet.
2. That Moawiya should not appoint or nominate anyone to the Khilafat after him but that the choice should be left to the Muslims.
3. That the people should be left in peace, wherever they are in the land of God.
4. That the persecution of the companions of Imam ‘Ali (as) should immediately be stopped; their lives and properties and families guaranteed safe conduct and peace.
5. That the cursing of Imam ‘Ali (as) from the pulpit should stop immediately.
6. That no harm should be done secretly or openly against Imam Hasan and his brother Imam Husayn or any of the Ahlul Bayt. (as)
This agreement concluded, Imam Hasan (as) went to Kufa, shortly followed by Moawiya who came there to take the allegiance of the people. In a speech delivered in front of Moawaiya, Imam Hasan (as) explained the situation clearly:
“O’People, Allah has guided you through our elders (Muhammad and ‘Ali) and spared you from bloodshed through those who followed (referring to himself). Indeed this (the Khilafat) is nothing but a passing phase, these worldly possessions keep shifting and changing hands."
History tells us that from day one Moawiya did not comply with any one of the terms of the treaty agreed upon between him and Imam Hasan (as) He trampled the treaty under his feet saying to the people of Kufa,”do you think I have taken power to teach you about Islam.
No, I have taken power for the sake of it and if any one of you tries to disagree with me shall pay a costly price of losing his head.(Taarikul Kholafa, Jalaluddin Soyuti)